During your college years, it’s important to gain professional experience to help explore careers in your field of study. The SIUC Extern Program, run by the SIU Alumni Association, offers undergraduate students these opportunities during the spring semester each year.
What you need to know:
- Externships are over SIU’s Spring Break in March (Spring break is March 13-17, 2017).
- Deadline to apply is usually during October, but check the SIU Alumni Association website for the most up-to-date information.
- All expenses fall to the student.
- This is a heavy time commitment. All students are expected to be high-achieving academically and exceptional ambassadors for SIU.
- See the program criteria for a detailed description of applicant/participant requirements.
As a student, you must:
- Have an SIU GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate with at least 56 credit hours completed (exceptions made by Extern College Coordinators on a case by case basis).
- Be enrolled as a full time student for both fall 2016 and spring 2017 semesters.
- Satisfy an extensive application/participation process (see program criteria for details).
- Apply online and interview in person with a college coordinator.
- Attend the Extern Recognition Ceremony.
The Extern Experience:
- Each extern experience is individualized.
- Most externships are Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., but some hosts design the extern schedule to meet their organizational goals.
- Students can work in one department all week or in a different department each day.